Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I wish I could be like...

I wish I could be like my Aunt - very bold, mentally strong, courageous and ambitious.

She is my Mom's sister, and right from my childhood she has been much like my Mom.

She worked in a local newspaper agency as an accountant in her twenties. After marriage, she had to leave her career to move in with her husband. After a few years, she began pursuing her career. She helped her husband in his work too. Though she had no kids, she always found joy in spending time with the younger generation - me, my sisters, and my cousins. We loved her quick wit and humor that we always felt she was of our age. She was quite modern in her thinking.

There was one day that changed her life forever. That was six years back. Her husband, then 45, was diagnosed with cancer, and that too, at a very latter stage. They consulted the most famous doctors in India. He (my Uncle) underwent many chemotherapy and radiation treatments. For five years they spent 80 pecent of the days in hospitals. They were physically, mentally, and financially drained out. She moved heaven and earth to save him, but one day, his struggle came to an end. Yes, he passed away a few months back, leaving her alone.

I could see how heart broken she was. However, her misery, her loneliness after the tragedy did not make her weak. I was amazed at how she put a bold face upfront. Within a couple of months after his death, she found a new job. She buried herself in her work so as to keep herself busy all the time. She is in her late forties now.

I wish I had the courage that she had to overcome her fate. Despite all her suffering, she sought our help only when it was very much needed. She tried to manage most of the things on her own. One would never figure out that there is such a tragedy behind such an ever-smiling and enthusiastic person. Talking to her every now and then, dropping by whenever possible is our own little way to show that we are all with her. 

-----------------------------------------------

Friends, this article is written as an answer to the prompt for 'Wish List Wednesday - Last One' posted by Preeti Shenoy, an author of some of the best-selling books in India.

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, nice post.. your aunt is really a positive person..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am blessed to have such a person in my life.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on winning. Your aunt deserves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats. Courage and confidence gives you success.

    ReplyDelete